There is really no better way to learn something than to teach it to someone else. Studies have shown that active learning is the best way to learn. So you can see why we were thrilled when my son wanted to make use of his Chinese speaking and writing skills to teach other kids (and gain a little money to buy Pokeman cards!)
Lucas and I have had a lot of fun coming up with creative ways to make learning Chinese fun for the beginner. Flashcards are sort of a necessary evil with learning Chinese. A ton of characters need to be memorized before you can even begin to start reading. And as I am sure you remember — flash cards are super boring.
Lucas and I have taken this as a fun challenge — how to make Chinese flashcards learning fun! He has been testing all of these games with his little sisters and have enjoyed every one!
Hiding Flashcard Game:
- box large enough to be able to lay down 5 cards so that they don’t hide another card
- flashcards/index cards
How to Play:
- Show the student the 5 (or however many you are going to study at that time) cards
- Put the cards in the box so that the student can see all of the cards
- Cover the box with a blanket
- Take out one of the cards while the student covers his/her eyes
- Take off the blanket and see if the student can figure out which card is missing
- Voila! Learning with flashcards becomes fun!
Check out some of our other ways that we make learning with flashcards fun!
This post contains affiliate links.